Medicare Insurance Plans in the state of Hawaii
Medicare is a federally sponsored health insurance program available to those over the age of 65, as well as to individuals who have certain disabilities. At the state level, however, there exist specific organizations that help beneficiaries better understand the Medicare process, and Medicare recipients may even qualify to receive state subsidies, depending on their circumstances. Consider the following information if you are interested in obtaining Medicare coverage in the state of Hawaii.
Below you’ll find general information about the different types of Medicare plans that may be available in Hawaii:
Medicare Advantage Plans cover all that Medicare Part A and Part B cover, and may include additional benefits.
Medicare Part D plans can be paired with Medicare Part A and Part B to cover the costs of prescription drugs.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans can be purchased in addition to Medicare Part A and Part B. These plans provide coverage for co-payments, deductibles and coinsurance, and some also cover medical services not covered by Medicare Part A and Part B.
These Medicare plans are offered by private insurance companies that are approved by Medicare. These plans generally have a monthly premium amount you are responsible for, an additional to your Part B monthly premium. The costs for these plans can differ depending on the company offering the plan and on your location.
Hawaii Medicare Savings Program
Hawaii has four Medicare Savings Programs available, depending on your income level.
*The following data is from 2017 and is based on federal amounts. If your income and resources are slightly higher, you should still apply, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.*
- *Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): The program helps pay for Medicare Part A and Part B premiums, as well as co-payments, deductibles, and cost-sharing. For individuals, the monthly income limit is $1,175, and for married couples, it is a monthly income limit of $1,576.
- *Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMBs): The program helps pay the Medicare Part B premiums for individuals with a monthly income under $1,406, and for married couples with a combined monthly income under $1,887.
- *Qualified Individuals (QIs): The program may pay for Medicare Part B premiums for individuals with a monthly income under $1,580 and married couples with a combined income under $2,121 a month.
- *Qualified Disabled and Working Individuals (QDWIs): The program helps pay for Medicare Part A premiums for individuals with a monthly income limit under $4,705 and married couples with a combined income limit under $6,309 per month.
*Data from SSA.gov
According to ssa.gov, you should be aware that several States may even disregard all resources for individuals or couples in certain categories.
Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (SHIP)
Local Hawaii SHIP centers (previously known as Sage Plus until April 1, 2015) are there to help you understand the variety of Medicare programs available. Hawaii SHIP provides local counseling sessions and personal phone and office consultations for patients throughout the state as a means to educate you about the wide variety of medical care and insurance options available (which can vary from region to region), including:
- Medicare (Parts A and B)
- Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Medicare Part D)
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)
- Prescription assistance programs
- Long-term care and payment options
- Health care rights and protections
- Low-income assistance programs
Hawaii SHIP also works on your behalf to deal with claims and disputes through a network of hundreds of trained, certified SHIP volunteers throughout the state of Hawaii
(Extra Help) for Prescription Drugs
*Low-Income Subsidy (Extra Help) Program: In 2017, you may qualify if you have up to $18,090 in yearly income ($24,360 for a married couple) and up to $13,820 in resources ($27,600 for a married couple).
If you are a Hawaii resident looking for answers about the best plan available to you in your area, you may consult with a licensed sales agent at MedicareSolutions.com. Knowledgeable MedicareSolutions.com licensed sales agents can tailor solutions to your needs based on both your income and location.