Illinois Medicare Insurance Plans
Medicare is a federally sponsored health insurance program available to those over the age of 65, as well as to individuals who have certain disabilities. At the state level, however, there exist specific organizations that help beneficiaries better understand the Medicare process, and Medicare recipients may even qualify to receive state subsidies, depending on their circumstances. Consider the following information if you are interested in obtaining Medicare coverage in the state of Illinois.
MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT INSURANCE (MEDIGAP) POLICIES
Medicare Supplement Insurance policies are required to be sold to people under the age of 65 in the state of Illinois, according to CMS.
Mini-COBRA Policies (Small Group)
If you work for an employer that has over 20 full-time employees, then federal COBRA law applies. If you work for an employer that has under 20 full-time employees, according to Illinois Health Insurance Continuation Rights Law, Plans with 2-19 employees can qualify for 9 months, dependents can qualify for 2 years.
Illinois Medicare Savings Program
There are four Medicare Savings Programs available in the state of Illinois.
*The following data is from 2017 and is based on federal amounts. If your income and resources are slightly higher, you should still apply, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.*
- *Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): For individuals with a monthly income up to $1,010 and couples under $1,355, the state pays all premiums for Medicare Part B and all copays and deductibles for Medicare Parts A and B.
- *Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMBs): For individuals with income under $1,208 per month or couples with monthly income under $1,622, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
- *Qualified Individuals (QIs): For individuals with income under $1,357 per month or couples with an income under $1,823 a month, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
- *Qualified Disabled and Working Individuals (QDWIs): For individuals with monthly income under $4,045 (or couples with combined income under $5,425 a month), the state will cover premiums for Medicare Part A.
Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
The Illinois Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) is a counseling service that can help you understand Illinois Medicare insurance plans. The program is run by the state and is not affiliated with any insurance company doing business in Illinois, nor does it sell or solicit insurance.
The Illinois SHIP provides education and counseling to consumers and provides information concerning:
- Medicare Parts A and B
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)
- Medicare Advantage Plan HMOs (Part C)
- Private Fee-for-Service and other health insurance plans
- Long-term care insurance
- Assistance with Medicare and Medicare Supplement Insurance claims
- Analysis of Medicare Supplement Insurance and long-term care policies
Illinois SHIP provides information to consumers via public forums, presentations through community organizations and at senior care centers, and other forms of media. Illinois SHIP works with qualified counselors and volunteers who provide assistance on a statewide basis. Illinois SHIP is funded through a grant provided by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
(Extra Help) for Prescription Drugs
The Illinois Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program provides assistance to help people with certain costs associated with Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Plans). This assistance includes costs associated with annual deductibles, monthly premiums, and any copayments and coinsurance amounts related to prescriptions. In 2017, you may qualify if you have up to $17,820 in yearly income ($24,030 for a married couple) and up to $13,640 in resources ($27,250 for a married couple).
Consult with a Medicare Solutions licensed sales agent to get personal assistance for Illinois Medicare Insurance Plans. One of the many experienced licensed sales agents can compare plans in your area and help you find the Medicare insurance benefits that are right for your needs.