New Mexico Medicare Insurance Plans
Medicare is a federally sponsored health insurance program available to those over the age of 65, as well as to individuals who have certain disabilities. At the state level, however, there exist specific organizations that help beneficiaries better understand the Medicare process, and Medicare recipients may even qualify to receive state subsidies, depending on their circumstances. Consider the following information if you are interested in obtaining Medicare coverage in the state of New Mexico.
Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plans
New Mexico does not have a requirement for insurance companies to sell Medicare Supplement Insurance policies to people who are under the age of 65. Some insurance companies may voluntarily sell Medigap policies to people under 65, although they may cost more than the Medigap policies sold to people over 65. Find more details in the Outreach and Education workbook at CMS.gov.
Mini-COBRA Policies (Small Group)
New Mexico has a state continuation program, similar to COBRA, that states plans with 2-19 employees may be eligible for up to six months of continuation coverage. For more information, click here.
New Mexico Medicare Savings Program
In the state of New Mexico, there are four Medicare Savings Programs.
*The following data is from 2017 and is based on federal amounts. If your income and resources are slightly higher, you should still apply, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.
- *Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): New Mexico provides for individuals with a monthly income under $1,010 and married couples with a monthly income under $1,355 by paying all premiums for Medicare Part B and all co-payments and deductibles for Medicare Parts A and B.
- *Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLIMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,208 or for couples with monthly income under $1,622 the state of New Mexico provides payment of premiums for Medicare Part B (an individual must be enrolled in Medicare Part A).
- *Qualified Individuals (QIs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,357 or couples with a monthly income under $1,823, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
- *Working and Disabled Individuals (QDWIs): The Qualified Disabled Working Individual (QDWI) rate is based on the maximum countable earned income an individual or couple may have and qualify for. We have factored in both the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) $20 general income exclusion and the SSI earned income exclusion ($65 plus ½ the remainder); these SSI exclusions are used in the MSPs. The QDWI limits assume that people who ask about this program are likely to be working. For individuals with a monthly income under $4,045 or couples with a monthly income under $5,425.
*Data from Medicare.gov
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
The Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) in New Mexico provides services for you in order to help with questions about your Medicare benefits. These services are provided via the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), funded in part through a grant from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
New Mexico SHIP provides education, counseling, and information concerning:
- Medicare Parts A and B
- Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D)
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap Plans)
- Long-term care plans and services
- Low-income assistance programs
Volunteers and staff are available to help you with your questions and the application process; they do not endorse, sell, or recommend insurance plans.
Low-Income Subsidy (ExtraHelp) for Prescription Drugs
In 2017, you may qualify if you have up to $17,820 in yearly income ($24,030 for a married couple).
If you live in New Mexico, you may consult with one of our licensed sales agents, who are available to provide you with personal assistance and the information you need specific to your area. A licensed sales agent can help you compare New Mexico Medicare insurance plans and assist you in finding the plan with the benefits that meets your needs.