New York Medicare Insurance Plans
Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) Policies
New York is a state that requires insurers to sell Medicare Supplement Insurance policies to residents who are under the age of 65. Below, you’ll find information about New York’s Medicare options including details about COBRA, New York’s Medicare Savings Program and the state’s Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP).
Mini-COBRA Policies (Small Group)
New York does mandate COBRA insurance continuation coverage for all employers, regardless of size.
New York Medicare Savings Program
The state of New York has three Medicare Savings Programs, the income guidelines.
The following data is from 2016 and is based on federal amounts. These amounts may increase in 2017. If your income and resources are slightly higher, you should still apply, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.*
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,010 and couples with a monthly income under $1,355, New York pays all premiums for Medicare Part B and all copays and deductibles for Medicare Parts A and B.
- Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,208 or couples with monthly income under $ 1,622, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
- Qualified Individuals (QIs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,313 or couples with a monthly income under $1,823, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
*Data from Medicare.gov
**According to Secure.ssa.gov, you should be aware that several States may even disregard all resources for individuals or couples in certain categories.
State Health Insurance Information, Counseling, and Assistance Program (HIICAP)
Your local New York Health Insurance Information, Counseling, and Assistance Program (HIICAP) provides you with information in order to help you understand your Medicare benefits. New York HIICAP is a confidential, one-on-one Medicare beneficiary counseling and assistance program available to you throughout the state.
New York HIICAP provides education, counseling, and information concerning:
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans)
- Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Plans)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Program for New York
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)
- Help with paying for your prescriptions
New York HIICAP also provides assistance with Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse, as well as other information concerning health insurance benefits that are important to you. The New York HIICAP receives funding in part through a grant from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
Low-Income Subsidy (ExtraHelp) for Prescription Drugs
In 2016, you may qualify if you have up to $17,820 in yearly income ($24,030 for a married couple).
Consult with one of our many MedicareSolutions.com licensed sales agents in order to get individual assistance specific to your area of need. One of our licensed sales agents will assist you with comparing your options with New York Medicare insurance plans and can help you find the right Medicare insurance benefits.