New York Medicare Insurance Plans
Medicare is a federally sponsored health insurance program available to those over the age of 65, as well as to individuals who have certain disabilities. At the state level, however, there exist specific organizations that help beneficiaries better understand the Medicare process, and Medicare recipients may even qualify to receive state subsidies, depending on their circumstances. Consider the following information if you are interested in obtaining Medicare coverage in the state of New York.
Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) Policies
New York is a state that requires insurers to sell Medicare Supplement Insurance policies to residents who are under the age of 65. Find more details in the Outreach and Education workbout at CMS.gov.
Below, you’ll find information about New York’s Medicare options including details about COBRA, New York’s Medicare Savings Program and the state’s Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP).
Mini-COBRA Policies (Small Group)
New York does mandate COBRA insurance continuation coverage even if your employer has under 20 full-time employees. If you work for an employer with fewer than 20 employees, you may be eligible for up to 18 months of continuation coverage. For more details, click here.
New York Medicare Savings Program
The state of New York has four Medicare Savings Programs, the income guidelines.
*The following data is from 2016 and is based on federal amounts. These amounts may increase in 2017. If your income and resources are slightly higher, you should still apply, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.
- *Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,010 and couples with a monthly income under $1,355, New York pays all premiums for Medicare Part B and all copays and deductibles for Medicare Parts A and B.
- *Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,208 or couples with monthly income under $ 1,622, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
- *Qualified Individuals (QIs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,313 or couples with a monthly income under $1,823, the state pays premiums for Medicare Part B.
- *Qualified Working and Disabled Individuals (QDWIs): For individuals with a monthly income under $4,045 or couples with a monthly income under $5,425, who lost disability benefits due to earnings and are eligible to enroll in Medicare Part A, the state pays the Medicare Part A premium for up to 48 months.
*Data from Medicare.gov
According to ssa.gov, you should be aware that several States may even disregard all resources for individuals or couples in certain categories.
State Health Insurance Information, Counseling, and Assistance Program (HIICAP)
Your local New York Health Insurance Information, Counseling, and Assistance Program (HIICAP) provides you with information in order to help you understand your Medicare benefits. New York HIICAP is a confidential, one-on-one Medicare beneficiary counseling and assistance program available to you throughout the state.
New York HIICAP provides education, counseling, and information concerning:
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans)
- Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Plans)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Program for New York
- Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)
- Help with paying for your prescriptions
New York HIICAP also provides assistance with Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse, as well as other information concerning health insurance benefits that are important to you. The New York HIICAP receives funding in part through a grant from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
Low-Income Subsidy (ExtraHelp) for Prescription Drugs
In 2016, you may qualify if you have up to $17,820 in yearly income ($24,030 for a married couple).
Consult with one of our many MedicareSolutions.com licensed sales agents in order to get individual assistance specific to your area of need. One of our licensed sales agents will assist you with comparing your options with Medicare insurance plans and can help you find the plan that best fits your needs.