Virginia Medicare Insurance Plans
Medicare is a federally sponsored health insurance program available to those over the age of 65, as well as to individuals who have certain disabilities. At the state level, however, there exist specific organizations that help beneficiaries better understand the Medicare process, and Medicare recipients may even qualify to receive state subsidies, depending on their circumstances. Consider the following information if you are interested in obtaining Medicare coverage in the state of Virginia.
Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Policies
Virginia does not require insurers to sell a Medicare supplement policy to adults under 65 afflicted with disability. Some insurance companies may still voluntarily sell Medigap policies to people under 65 but they may cost more than Medigap policies sold to people over 65.
Mini-COBRA Policies (small group)
Virginia does not currently have a law, like some other states do, that replicates COBRA for businesses with less than 20 full-time employees.
Medicare Savings Programs In Virgina
Virginia has four Medicare Savings Programs.
*The following data is from 2017 and is based on federal amounts. If your income and resources are slightly higher, you should still apply, you may qualify for benefits even if your income is higher than the limits listed.
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries (QMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,010 and for couples with a monthly income under $1,355, the state pays all premiums for Part B and all Co-Pays and Deductibles for Parts A & B
- Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries (SLMBs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,208 or couples with monthly income under $1,622, the state pays premiums for Part B.
- Qualified Individuals (QIs): For individuals with a monthly income under $1,357 or for couples with monthly income under $1,823, the state pays premiums for Part B.
- Qualified Disabled and Working Individuals (QDWIs): This is available for individuals or couples who make under $4,045 or $5,425 per month, respectively, and pays for Medicare Part A premiums only.
*Data from Medicare.gov
According to ssa.gov, you should be aware that several States may even disregard all resources for individuals or couples in certain categories.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
SHIP services are provided through the Virginia Department for the Aging, which subcontracts with local area agencies on aging (AAAs) to provide SHIP services in every community across the Commonwealth.
State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs
Virginia offers its citizens two pharmaceutical assistance programs:
- The AIDS Drug Assistance Program
- Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services Community State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program
Extra Help With Prescription Coverage Assistance 2012:
In 2017, you may qualify if you have up to $17,820 in yearly income ($24,030 for a married couple).
If you live in Virginia, you can consult with one of our MedicareSolutions.com licensed sales agents for help on how to compare Virginia Medicare insurance plans. Our licensed sales agents can compare plans in your area and help you find the Virginia Medicare insurance plans that best fit your needs and budget.